Wednesday, 26 October 2016

How do you inspire students' learning?

I think inspiring students to learn is very important because no students want to be in a boring class and no teachers want to teach a class that is not interested. I am inspired by David Thornburg on his video on Evolving Classroom. He talks about the layout of the classroom, which I think is important because it affects how students engage in the class. He mentioned that students remember 70% of what they learn and 90% of what they do. Doing something that students are interested in will inspire them to learn, which is the goal of education. Thornburg also mentions the importance of being active in a classroom. Being active in the class allows students to have a better understanding.

Motivation is also a big part of inspiring students' learning. The RSA, presented The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, which expresses that rewards motivates students while punishment does not. The video also mentions that rewards is more effective for rudimentary skills and not so effective for cognitive skills. Higher incentives also led to worse performance. This could be something teachers could keep in mind when attempting to inspire students' learning.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruby,
    Your blog provides a lot of helpful and useful information about digital learning in the classroom.
    I agree with what you have said here, inspiring students to learn is an important factor in the classroom. I would have never thought that the layout of a classroom could inspire students to learn, but, after watching the video you have posted I now realize what an essential role it plays. In my future classroom, I will be sure to pay attention to the way in which the classroom is organized.
    Although the set up can inspire students, I feel that teachers themselves play a major role in inspiring students. If teachers shift their focus from the grades they expect students to get and focus more on ensuring that students are active learners, then students are more likely to be inspired to learn. I have personally discussed this same topic on my blog if you were interested in discovering more.
    As a final note, do you believe there are any other ways in which students can be inspired, besides classroom layout and teacher focus?
    Thanks for the wonderful blog post.
    - Payton J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Payton,
      Thanks for your kind words! I think inspiring students' learning also involves inspiring teachers so I am glad I inspired you for your teaching method. I truly believe in being active learners instead of only focusing on grades and of course teachers play a major role in that. I believe it is very important for students to have a positive environment for learning. That is how they succeed! As to your question, I believe the teacher's attitude and how they express their teaching is also very important. Students want to see a caring and confident teacher in order to motivate them to learn.
      It was nice talking to you Payton, I will definitely take a look at your blog post! Thanks for your feedback!
      -Ruby :)

      Delete